Photometric Noise is a plugin for Adobe Photoshop that simulates CCD camera noise. The image sensor employed by most digital cameras is called a charge coupled device (CCD) that converts light into electrons. It then reads the accumulated charge of each cell in the image and an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) turns each pixel’s value into a digital value by measuring the amount of charge at each photosite. As with most CCD sensors, unwanted artifacts can sometimes be visible in low-light conditions that manifest themselves as noise in the dark areas of the image. Photometric Noise simulates this low-light noise effect.
Photometric Noise provides a simplified interface with a set of easy to use controls. The amount slider specifies the amount of prevalent noise while the photometric button toggles between normal and photometric noise. A photometric noise curve controller allows the user to modify the black to white curve with a handy visual display built right into the interface.
Photometric Noise offers fixed, additive and subtractive noise application options.
Photometric Noise is 100% multi-threaded capable of using an unlimited number of cores for ultimate speed.
Photometric Noise supports both 8 bits / channel and 16 bits / channel color modes for professional workflows.
Amount: Specifies the intensity of the noise.
P Curve: Controls the bias of the photometric curve. Increasing this value will push the noise towards brighter areas while decreasing this value will push noise towards darker areas.
Seed: Changes the random generator seed.
Photometric: Outputs photometric noise as opposed to standard. Photometric noise is proportionally applied to luminance so a white area in the image will have no noise while a black area in the image will retain the most noise.
Monochromatic: Randomizes each pixel (instead of channel) by the same amount.
Composite Type: Specifies the type of noise compositing to apply.
- v1.0 – First release.
- v1.1 – Cleaned up help information.
Installing this software is easy and only requires three simple steps:
1 – Download the software by clicking on the Download Demo button located above on the software page. This will prompt you to save a .zip file on your computer.
2 – Extract the contents from the .zip file and place the .8bf file into your host’s plugin folder. For instance, to install for Adobe Photoshop CS6, place the .8bf file into the location shown below. You can make a sub-folder to keep your plugins organized, such as the one below. Please make sure 64 bit plugins such as these are placed in the corresponding 64 bit Adobe Photoshop plugin folder.
If you’re using Photoshop CC (eg. version 2013 – 2019 or later), your Photoshop plug-ins are stored in a folder shared between all Photoshop CC versions shown below.
3 – Launch Adobe Photoshop, open an image and click on Filter > Richard Rosenman > Filter Name. If the filter is grayed out, it may not support your current image color depth.
If you have purchased a commercial license, please review the activation section.
This software is compatible with the following OS:
- Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
- Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 10 Education 64 bit
- Windows 8 64 bit
- Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
- Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 7 Home Basic 64 bit
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
- Windows Vista Business 64 bit
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
- Windows XP 64 bit
- Windows XP Professional 64 bit
This software is compatible with the following hosts:
- Any host capable of running Adobe Photoshop 64 bit compliant plugins
- Adobe Photoshop (Version CS5 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Adobe Photoshop Elements (Version 13 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Adobe Illustrator (Version CS6 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Computerinsel Photoline 64 (Version 16 or higher) 64 bit
- CorelDRAW (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Painter (Version 12.1 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Paint Shop Pro (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Photo-Paint (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Paint.NET (with the PSFilterPdn plugin) 64 bit
- Serif PhotoPlus (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit