The Carotid Function Fractal is somewhat debated as to whether it is a fractal at all but deep within it’s infinite curves, subtle fractal patterns begin to emerge.
This Adobe Photoshop implementation provides fast, colorful results for the exploration of the fractal.
Although fairly simple in its nature, the fractal can be used to create a variety of generative art for various means including graphic design, motion graphics and illustration.
Carotid Function Fractal plugin features fully antialiased output with full control over the number of curves, pixel step size and vertical scale.
The plugin provides various specialized coloring features such as single / double / spectral coloring combined with increasing / decreasing intensity and gamma correction.
Due to it’s simplicty, Carotid Function Fractal is fast and drawing thousands of curves is effortless.
Carotid Function Fractal supports both 8 bits / channel and 16 bits / channel color modes for professional workflows.
Curves: Defines the number of curves. To draw a large number of curves it is recommended to work with high resolution canvases. Additionally, Carotid Function curves are long so a canvas with a panoramic aspect ratio is recommended.
Step Size: Defines the step size (distance between pixels). This controls the distance between each pixel plot. Finding a good value is one that creates a generally consistent curve, without thickening the line too much in some areas or thinning out the line too much in others. Generally, there will always be some pixelation involved especially in curves with steep slopes (until I implement an adaptive step feature).
V-Scale: Defines the vertical scale of the fractal.
Color A: Defines color A.
Swap: Swaps color A with color B.
Color B: Defines Color B.
Background Color: Enables the background to be a specified solid color. Carotid Function Fractal plots additively so disabling this will plot on top of an existing image.
Background Color: Specifies the background color.
Color Mode: Specifies how to color the curves. Single color plot with one color. Double color plots from color 1 to color 2 across the total number of curves. Spectral color plots from the first color of the spectrum to the last color of the spectrum across the total number of curves.
Brightness Mode: Specifies how to brighten / darken the curves. Fixed brightness will plot with a consistent brightness. Increasing brightness will plot from a brightness of 0% to a brightness of 100% across the total number of curves. Decreasing brightness will plot from a brightness of 100% to a brightness of 0% across the total number of curves.
- v1.0 – First release.
- v1.1 – Cleaned up help information.
Installing this software is easy and only requires three simple steps:
1 – Download the software by clicking on the Download Demo button located above on the software page. This will prompt you to save a .zip file on your computer.
2 – Extract the contents from the .zip file and place the .8bf file into your host’s plugin folder. For instance, to install for Adobe Photoshop CS6, place the .8bf file into the location shown below. You can make a sub-folder to keep your plugins organized, such as the one below. Please make sure 64 bit plugins such as these are placed in the corresponding 64 bit Adobe Photoshop plugin folder.
If you’re using Photoshop CC (eg. version 2013 – 2019 or later), your Photoshop plug-ins are stored in a folder shared between all Photoshop CC versions shown below.
3 – Launch Adobe Photoshop, open an image and click on Filter > Richard Rosenman > Filter Name. If the filter is grayed out, it may not support your current image color depth.
If you have purchased a commercial license, please review the activation section.
This software is compatible with the following OS:
- Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
- Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 10 Education 64 bit
- Windows 8 64 bit
- Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
- Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 7 Home Basic 64 bit
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
- Windows Vista Business 64 bit
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
- Windows XP 64 bit
- Windows XP Professional 64 bit
This software is compatible with the following hosts:
- Any host capable of running Adobe Photoshop 64 bit compliant plugins
- Adobe Photoshop (Version CS5 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Adobe Photoshop Elements (Version 13 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Adobe Illustrator (Version CS6 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Computerinsel Photoline 64 (Version 16 or higher) 64 bit
- CorelDRAW (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Painter (Version 12.1 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Paint Shop Pro (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Photo-Paint (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Paint.NET (with the PSFilterPdn plugin) 64 bit
- Serif PhotoPlus (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit