Smart De-Interlacer is a plugin for Adobe Photoshop for the de-interlacing of interlaced video frames. Generally, interlaced frames are a result of time-ramping footage via fields instead of frames or converting from one framerate to another such as 24fps to 30fps for instance, where 3:2 pulldown is added therefore generating 6 new interlaced frames for every one second of film footage.
Smart De-Interlacer works by copying or interpolating every other field (line) with the one prior, thus reconstructing an original image. The result will never be as good as the original since the new fields are interpolated but it will provide a reasonably good result.
Smart De-Interlacer also provides custom controls for creating one’s own convolution kernels for interpolating. This gives the user unprecedented control over the quality of the resulting frame.
Field: Specifies which field to process.
Paint Color: Specifies the color used for various actions such as ‘RGB Paintout’ and ‘Alpha Paintout’.
Action: Specifies what action to perform.
Custom Parameters: When ‘Custom’ action is selected, these variables are user configurable.
RGB Paintout: Paints the specified field using the specified paint color.
Alpha Paintout: Paints the alpha of the specified field (except background layer) using the specified paint color.
Duplicate Upper Field: Copies the upper field into the specified one.
Duplicate Lower Field: Copies the lower field into the specified one.
Interpolate Upper and Lower Neighbors: Interpolates the specified field between the upper and lower pixels.
Interpolate (x,x,x): Performs convolution interpolations on the specified field based on a custom x,x,x matrix.
- v1.0 – First release.
- v1.1 – Fixed preview window flickering when using trackbar sliders.
- v1.2 – New GUI design.
- v1.2 – Windows Vista Compatibility.
- v1.3 – Added reset button.
- v1.3 – “Custom Parameters” window now displays “ON” or “OFF”.
- v1.3 – Preview image now scales correctly to zoom level.
- v1.3 – Preview no longer flickers on button / slider adjustment.
- v1.3 – Ability to use up to 3 GB of RAM under 32bit Windows (2000, XP, Vista) and 4 GB of RAM under 64bit Windows (2000, XP, Vista).
- v1.4 – 64 bit release.
- v1.5 – Cleaned up help information.
Installing this software is easy and only requires three simple steps:
1 – Download the software by clicking on the Download Demo button located above on the software page. This will prompt you to save a .zip file on your computer.
2 – Extract the contents from the .zip file and place the .8bf file into your host’s plugin folder. For instance, to install for Adobe Photoshop CS6, place the .8bf file into the location shown below. You can make a sub-folder to keep your plugins organized, such as the one below. Please make sure 64 bit plugins such as these are placed in the corresponding 64 bit Adobe Photoshop plugin folder.
If you’re using Photoshop CC (eg. version 2013 – 2019 or later), your Photoshop plug-ins are stored in a folder shared between all Photoshop CC versions shown below.
3 – Launch Adobe Photoshop, open an image and click on Filter > Richard Rosenman > Filter Name. If the filter is grayed out, it may not support your current image color depth.
If you have purchased a commercial license, please review the activation section.
This software is compatible with the following OS:
- Windows 10 Home 64 bit
- Windows 10 Pro 64 bit
- Windows 10 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 10 Education 64 bit
- Windows 8 64 bit
- Windows 8 Pro 64 bit
- Windows 8 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 7 Home Basic 64 bit
- Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit
- Windows 7 Professional 64 bit
- Windows 7 Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
- Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit
- Windows Vista Business 64 bit
- Windows Vista Enterprise 64 bit
- Windows Vista Ultimate 64 bit
- Windows XP 64 bit
- Windows XP Professional 64 bit
This software is compatible with the following hosts:
- Any host capable of running Adobe Photoshop 64 bit compliant plugins
- Adobe Photoshop (Version CS5 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Adobe Photoshop Elements (Version 13 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Adobe Illustrator (Version CS6 or higher, including CC) 64 bit
- Computerinsel Photoline 64 (Version 16 or higher) 64 bit
- CorelDRAW (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Painter (Version 12.1 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Paint Shop Pro (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Corel Photo-Paint (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit
- Paint.NET (with the PSFilterPdn plugin) 64 bit
- Serif PhotoPlus (Version X6 or higher) 64 bit